Thursday, December 6, 2007

Changing The Bed

//changing the bed newest



PAGE 1 OF 2 PAGES
Adjustments (latest version - March '98)
BY ELIZABETH SOUTHWOOD


I do not know
how a day will go,
why meds help,
approximately,
my moving,
my whispery, muffled voice,
my swallowing.
I recollect croissants,
buttery, warm, and crunchy,
coasting down my throat,
as easily as drool
slips out.
Now they stick
and nearly choke me.

This morning
a rain-rinsed breeze puffs through
my open bedroom windows,
so fresh and cool I'm inspired
to try to change the bed today.
I wonder if
I can pull the cover off the duvet.
The meds are working well today,
but my hands are limp as a happy cat.

Through the open window,
I see sunlight gleam
on dripping, silvered
eucalyptus leaves
relish the whiff
of scent,
long to take deep breaths
and stretch my legs.
If I attempt a walk,
will I move
awkwardly as Frankenstein,
lose my balance?

There's a thousand things
I'd like to do, but can't.








Winning version: (with a couple of changes)



CHANGING THE BED
BY ELIZABETH SOUTHWOOD

She does not know
how a day will go,
why meds help,
more or less,
her moving,
her muffled voice,
her choking
when swallowing.
She recollects croissants,
tasty, warm, and crunchy,
slipping down her throat,
easily as nursery rhymes
poured out when sing-songed
to her babies.
This morning
a rain-rinsed breeze puffs through
her open bedroom windows,
so fresh and fragrant she's inspired
to try to meet a challenge,
and change the bed today.
Can she pull the cover off the duvet?
Will her hands cooperate?
Or does she have to wait
for help to separate
the linens,
her hands useless
as two leaves.

She sees sunlight gleam
on dripping, silvered
eucalyptus leaves
relishes the whiff
of scent,
longs to take deeper breaths
of the wind from the sea
which nudges white-cotton clouds east
through starch-blue sky.

If she goes for a walk,
will she move
awkwardly,
lose her balance,
fall backwards
or when turning?
She's read
that music will supposedly
help her to move more easily.
She inserts a CD
and becomes a white crane,
courtesy of tai chi,
and feeling warmed up,
decides to chance a walk.
"Later," she thinks, "I'll try to change the bed
to music
too."

No comments: